>Removing the index is one of the silliest suggestions I've ever
>encountered. A book without an index is almost useless, unless of course
>you're blessed with a photographic memory. As far as putting in on a CD
>or on the web, that's fine as long as a _good_ index is also included in
>the book. I often read books on the subway, train, in a car, etc., where
>there is no possibility of access to a CD or the web. Many people I know
>have similar reading habits and consequently have no use for this sort
>of thing.

Certainly I admit that a stupid idea can seem to some superior minds, but
then the editors of almost all the novels that I have in my library should
be stupid.

As almost all in this forum has understood, I am not referring to that index
type that can occupy a couple of pages at the end,  and that is limited to
point out the title of each chapter, but to the exhaustive index of words
and terms that appear in this type of technical books; manuals and
references that by the way, are not those that usually read the people in
the subway or in the bus, but like guide in the desktop.  As an example, the
work "Win32 Programming" from Brent E. Rector and Joseph M. Newcomer,
Addison-Wesley.  A "brick" with 1522 pages, those that the index occupies
187 pages of words to three columns per page. The one that can let You pass
three years of continuous trips without getting bored.

Greetings

A.J.Millan
ZATOR Systems