Dear John,
> You might also look at using the Sqlite date format rather than seperate
> columns for year, month etc.
That was what I considered first. The problem was, that other people
are also supposed to use this datbase. Some of them use Fortran and they
said that it's easier to compile the data in this format but in the
prefered current_date. I couldn't find a way to do the splitting in day,
month, year with sqlite, so I choose this, admittedly not very nice,
implementation. I think even Fortran should know something like subset or split,
but...
Can this splitting be done by sqlite?

Thank

Hubertus