> From: Joel Cochran [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Hi Puneet,
>
> I probably shouldn't have said that they 'ignore' the blanks, but they
are
> capable of treating them as white space for text matching purposes.  I
> can't
> speak for Oracle, but I'm pretty sure MySQL and SqlServer (and I know
for
> sure DB2) all allow you to search on 'A' and they will return records
for
> 'A
> ' or 'A      ', etc.  I think it is intuitive to treat trailing blanks
as
> whitespace, but that might be because of my main experience with
DB2/400.

(Not very SQLite specific, but:)

This is a difference between CHAR(n) and VARCHAR(n) in many databases; a
VARCHAR knows how many characters are significant (and they can include
whitespace), whereas CHAR(n) stores exactly n characters but views
trailing blanks as insignificant.  CHAR(n) is ugly from most design
viewpoints, but can be handled slightly more efficiently in many
databases so we accept ugly code to deal with it.  I'd definitely
recommend removing the trailing blanks when you move away from a
schema/database that requires them.

-- James