Some interesting new information, if anyone can make use of it.

After adding one more machine to the test, we have established that the described slowdown occurs consistently on Windows XP Home and Pro and on Windows Vista. The problem appears to be absent on Windows Media Center (two different machines), and may be absent on Windows 2000.

Executing the example Ruby script with pragma synchronous=OFF shows nearly identical execution times on all machines.

Write caching is enabled on all machines.

My preliminary hypothesis is that Media Center and Windows 2000 may be far more aggressive about committing data to disk than XP Home and Pro and Vista. I am still uncertain what factors or configuration settings could be affecting the performance.

Thanks,

John Elrick