John Elrick wrote:

Griggs, Donald wrote:

John Elrick wrote:
"what the heck is happening that is creating a better than order of magnitude difference in execution time on five out of seven Windows machines?".

John,

If the database is opened and closed just once for your testing, I think you can find out if buffer flushing is involved by *temporarily* adding Pragma synchronous=OFF;

At the beginning of your test.

Thanks Donald. The results are now identical. So, it has to do with buffer flushing differences between the machines. Now I have to figure out what the differences are given that the XP laptop is configured as shipped and is showing the performance improvement.

Corrected text:

"Thanks Donald.  The results are now in line."

The real time with the pragma off is 1.78 seconds. The real time on the "faster" machine is 8.4 seconds. When I set the synchronous pragma to off on the "faster" machine, the time drops to 1.64.

John

Do your various machines use the same hard disk controller and similar technology disks?