With the suggestion that the problem was a compiler bug
in PellesC for Windows, I posted a message on their forum.
One response suggested a couple of configuration changes
and also said to wait a while because it took a long time to
compile.

So, I let the compiler continue after it had reported a timeout
after 300 seconds. Surprise, surprise, it correctly handled
the single source file and generated all necessary output
components. The dll file was even smaller than the distributed
image, but I can not say if that is just flagging a compile for
minimum size rather than minimum processing speed.

I'm happy to report that I have no reason to object to the
change in preprocessed source.

Thanks again Dr. Hipp for a great product.

Regards,

Chris Peachment