On 5 May 2007, at 15:59, Joe Wilson wrote:

Ignore the idea above - an insert of NULL or an incrementing integer for the
INTEGER PRIMARY KEY yields the same timings.

I might try taking it out anyway - I don't really need it other than to be able to say "look at row n" to someone.

I did originally have indices before doing the inserts, but I took them away.

I can't reproduce your problem. I can insert 16M records into your table schema in 25 minutes on a 5 year old Windows machine. The sqlite3 process
had peak RAM usage of less than 20M.

Rats, I suspect it must be some compiler/architecture specific thing. I can rebuild it for x86, since I don't really care where it runs. It definitely isn't running out of memory though (at least, not unless it's throttling itself somehow, the machine has loads free when it gets sick).

Thanks

--tim