C.Peachment,

You're right, I'm not the smartest or best programmer. I know that. But I
often get the job done in spite of my handicaps.

To keep from overloading the circuit I'll try to limit the number of
questions to one at a time.

I'm trying to install sqlite on HPUX. There's no HPUX install package on the
sqlite download web site. So I downloaded the sources. The HPUX 11.0 make
utility didn't like sqlite's make files. In spite of my handicaps I notice
that I have GNU bash installed. I tried the the make utility that comes with
bash. Bingo! It worked.

So now I have a "bld" directory full of stuff. But I don't see a sqlite
library file. I look everywhere. Where is it? In spite of my slowness my
tenacity is not lacking. I keep looking. Using "find" I discover libsqlite
files in a ".libs" (hidden) directory. Very sneaky. Why would anyone hide
the directory holding the most important files? I guess to help weed out the
underprivileged. But I'm not the dullest knife in the drawer. I found it!

I'm getting around to asking my one question. I see two library files in the
".libs" directory. One named "libsqlite3.sl" and one named "libsqlite3.a".
Typically a ".a" extension indicates a library for static linking. So here's
my question. What's the ".a" file for?  As I said earlier it makes me think
it might be possible to create executables that can be run on similar
machines without first installing sqlite.

I'll guess I'll keep plodding along to see if I can figure it out on my own.
I'm going to try to link some files now. That can be a real challenge in
itself. I guess if I have linking questions I ask them on an HPUX site.

Thanks for the advice.