I see that it is a variant of type VT_BSTR containing
"2345678.9123" (or whatever), and I have to use strtod() to convert it
to the number I want.  Is there a way to write the query to ensure that
it will give me a number instead of a string?

The type selection is done in your ODBC wrapper, and if it's storing that floating-point value as a BSTR in its returned variant, my guess is that it's not checking the return value from sqlite3_column_type(), and it'll just store everything as a BSTR. No query will change that. (The exception is blobs, they should be VT_ARRAY | VT_UI1).

So I would think the answer is no. Then again, I've never used the wrapper you're using.

- TMack