Working with some data conversion here (that will eventually go into
an SQLite database). I'm hoping you IO wizards can offer some help on
a question that I've been trying to get answered.

I'm using Solaris 10 for this.

If I mmap a large file and use madvise with MADV_SEQUENTIAL and
MADV_WILLNEED, then start processing the file, when will the system
discard pages that have been referenced? I guess what I'm wondering is
if there is any retention of "back" pages?

Say for example I start reading the file, and after consuming 24,576
bytes, will the first or second pages still be in memory (assuming
8192 byte pages)?

Thanks!

--
- Mitchell Vincent
- K Software - Innovative Software Solutions