I think maybe "Normalization" could be one of the best underutilized
features of modern database design by most practicing "Database
Consultants."  Never have I seen such a rule with so many exceptions!
Each normalization decision must be prefaced with "It Depends" in every
instance.  Ah the potential billable time that can be spent with each
normalization effort boggles the mind :-)

If the subject record is be looked on as a "history" record documenting
the exact circumstances of a "sales" transaction then it is no longer a
dynamic entity subject to the variegations of the ever changing data
items within the related "master" tables.  Therefore, the data items
contained in each row of this table should be a permanent reflection of
the master tables' data content at an exact point in time and must not
remain linked to the related dynamic master tables.  (i.e. the subject
table is no longer a "transaction" table in the true sense but a static
snapshot of a given physical activity.  The exact definition of a
particular "sales" event and not subject to change.

But then again...

Fred