I have a question on index size, I have a table that by doing some
testing the DB have grown to 250MB, might not seem too large, as the
table have 4million records in it. But for this DB this table would grow
a lot larger than that. So I did some tests with a simple table 3 fields

FIELD1 is a integer with autogenerated primary key, the other two fields
are integers, inserting 1 million records the DB ended up being around
12mb which seems to be correct, by adding indexes to the other 2 fields
the db has grown to about 27mb, so my question is this.

First what makes the indexes so large and second

Is there any way to reduce the size of the indexes?

My sql looks like this:

CREATE INDEX IDX_FIELD2 ON TEST(FIELD2 ASC);

Thanks.