On 6/27/07, Jiri Hajek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Right now sqlite database files are portable across systems as-is.
> You're proposing they should need to be explicitly prepared for
> transport?  Remember, the risk is silent data corruption.  This is not
> a trivial matter.

Well, I do understand that Unicode standard is quite a complicated
thing, but we got a little farther in the discussion than I originally
intended. My problem isn't that I'd like to transport SQLite database
between platforms, let's stay for example with Windows - as I already
wrote, if I create a database where I want to fully support Unicode
strings (including correct sorting), I have to define some custom
collation. This results in the fact that I can't open (or edit) the
database in any other DB application across Windows, because they
don't know the collation I defined. So, in fact, Unicode SQLite
databases aren't portable even within a single platform!

Microsoft has changed the collation data sub-service pack, so for
practical purposes it's tied to a specific install of Windows unless
it contains logic to regenerate indexes on the fly.

At this point you realize that what you need is not a tiny portable
embedded database engine, but a database engine tied to a specific
platform, or a somewhat larger portable database engine with
self-contained collation data.

I don't really have an answer for you, but sqlite alone isn't going to
cover your needs.  It might be time to move to a client-server style
database, one that has the wide range of app/tool support you're
looking for.