Hey Andrew!

Yes, though that's not what I'm trying to accomplish. The software
allows entry of *any* text in the field and I want anything previously
entered to appear in the lists after that -- that's why all the
trouble.

Thanks!

On 7/8/07, Andrew Finkenstadt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On 7/7/07, Mitchell Vincent <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a query to get all states that a user might have entered, it is :
>
> SELECT DISTINCT customers.bill_state as the_result from customers
> UNION SELECT DISTINCT invoice_master.bill_state FROM invoice_master
> UNION SELECT DISTINCT customers.ship_state from customers UNION SELECT
> DISTINCT invoice_master.ship_state from invoice_master;
>
> Can anyone help speed this query up for large(r) data sets or a
> suggest a more efficient way of getting the unique list of states? I'd
> sure appreciate it! Thanks!

On the other hand, you could merely enter the Fifty States (and provinces,
protectorates, commonwealths, etc) into a lookup table, and select from that
much faster. :)

--andy

--
- Mitchell Vincent
- K Software - Innovative Software Solutions