Regarding: "
Where I get tripped up is making a typo in a multiline query that may
have destructive effects if I terminate with a ';' and allow the CLI to
execute the query. To date I have aborted the CLI with a ^C (MS
Windows). I would love have a means of escaping/cancelling back to the
prompt without executing from a partially entered query. Perhaps the
escape key is a good candidate for actioning this functionality should
someone implement it."

Why not just add the word "damnit;" (or almost anything) to the end of
the query, resulting in a syntax error -- and no changes to your
database?