At 01:42 PM 8/9/2007, you wrote:
--- mos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Is there no way to allocate more memory to SQLite index buffers like you
> can with MySQL and most other databases? I suspect SQLite is building the
> index on disk which will be 100x slower than if it used RAM. The indexing
> process has used 400MB of RAM so far and it seems not to want any more even
> though there is 800mb free. I could go out and get more RAM, but if SQLite
> doesn't use it, what's the point?

see the previously mentioned pragma statements:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/sqlite-users%40sqlite.org/msg26838.html

Don't discount the speed increase of OS file caching (pre-caching).
It can make a very big difference.

Hmmm, I have 2gb RAM on my computer, and the SQLite database (with just this one table) is 10.5 gb. It's like trying to fit an elephant into a phone booth. I can try and squeeze in it, but I don't think it's gonna to fit.
And you're telling me, "Well, PUSH HARDER!" <lol>

Mike