Thanks Nuno. Since I am raw in this matter, could I ask you for a
little more hand-holding as specified below --

On 9/20/07, Nuno Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> You have to know the encoding of the user input. To do that, all your
> html forms _MUST_ have proper <META> tags, and as you will be using
> SQLite, the obvious encoding choice will be UTF-8 (because that way
> you don't need to do any conversions when feeding/retrieving data
> to/from SQLite).

So, what is the proper meta tag? Is the following sufficient?

        "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd";>
  <head>
    <title></title>
  </head>

And, other than the above, I don't have to do anything else? Just a
straight ahead INSERT with bind vars is enough?

Many thanks in advance,

Puneet.

> [...]
> >
> > Summary of problem: Data with diacritics show up fine in web forms,
> > but on updating, they get clobbered with gibberish and subsequently
> > show up incorrectly.
> >
> > So, I decided to do a little test. I created a small table, wrote a
> > script, and inserted a few records from the web. See the output of my
> > investigation below. I ask you, what is it that I have to do to
> > achieve my goal above? (output of test follows; I have separated
> > logical sections with a "-------" line, and my comments start with #)
> >
> > Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ sqlite3 entities.sqlite
> > SQLite version 3.3.8
> > Enter ".help" for instructions
> > sqlite> .s
> > CREATE TABLE tbl (a text);
> > sqlite> select * from tbl;
> > the first record
> > é ç ñ î
> > more from 3rd row
> > row four
> > these "volunteered" activities
> > <á ø ã ü î & others>
> > -----------------------------
> > sqlite> .mode csv
> > sqlite> .output foo.csv
> > sqlite> select * from tbl;
> > sqlite> .q
> > Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ less foo.csv
> > "the first record"
> > "\351 \347 \361 \356"
> > "more from 3rd row"
> > "row four"
> > "these \223volunteered\224 activities"
> > "<\341 \370 \343 \374 \356 & others>"
> > foo.csv (END)
> > -----------------------------
> > sqlite> .mode html
> > sqlite> .output foo.html
> > sqlite> select * from tbl;
> > sqlite> .q
> > Lucknow:~/Data/ecoservices punkish$ less foo.html
> > "foo.html" may be a binary file.  See it anyway?
> > <TR><TD>the first record</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD><E9> <E7> <F1> <EE></TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>more from 3rd row</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>row four</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>these <93>volunteered<94> activities</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>&lt;<E1> <F8> <E3> <FC> <EE> &amp; others></TD>
> > </TR>
> > foo.html (END)
> > -----------------------------
> > # below foo.html in my Cocoa-based text editor
> > <TR><TD>the first record</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>È Á Ò Ó</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>more from 3rd row</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>row four</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>these ìvolunteeredî activities</TD>
> > </TR>
> > <TR><TD>&lt;· ¯ „ ¸ Ó &amp; others></TD>
> > </TR>
> > # below foo.html in Safari; I added <TABLE> tags to format correctly

Puneet Kishor
http://punkish.eidesis.org/
Nelson Institute for Environmental Studies
http://www.nelson.wisc.edu/
Open Source Geospatial Foundation (OSGeo)
http://www.osgeo.org/
Summer 2007 S&T Policy Fellow, The National Academies
http://www.nas.edu/