Igor Tandetnik wrote:

> Reordering LEFT JOIN changes the meaning of the statement. You don't
> want your DBMS to do that to you behind your back. Make sure you know
> what you are doing, and that the reordered statement still does what
> it's supposed to do. Again, (A LEFT JOIN B) produces different results,
> in general, than (B LEFT JOIN A).
>
> Igor Tandetnik

Ah, good point. I overlooked this because in this instance the outer joins
actually have the semantics of inner joins (i.e. I know the tables have the
same entries with the same primary keys). I'm using outer joins because the
query is generated using a generic framework which might need outer joins in
some cases. But considering the implications of our approach for the query
optimizer, I'll rewrite it so it uses inner joins and handles the other
cases in some other way.

Cheers,
Matt