"Are you certain it's sqlite RAM, and not your application?"

Yes, we are also testing PostgreSQL and MySQL and the application memory
with those stays < 20 mb.

"Is your temp_store set to memory or file?"

I have not changed this, so it's whatever the default is.

"How are you performing your inserts (prepared statements)?"

Not using prepared statements, just sending a batch of "INSERT INTO"
statements.

"How many rows are you inserting per batch?"

Do you mean per transaction?  If so, approximately 30 or so.  The 500 mb
memory usage was after 150k transactions.

"What's your database page_size?"

Whatever the default is.

"Can you build your table indexes after you populate the data?"

Preferably not.

"Is this for a poker showdown database by any chance?"

Nope. :-)

It's for: http://preview.pokertracker3.com