On Jan 4, 2008 8:43 AM, Nicolas Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It hadn't occurred to me that ICU might be so large as to make use of
> alternative libraries interesting.  When we port the relevant app in
> OpenSolaris to use SQLite 3.x I'll look again at contributing patches
> that add support for the OpenSolaris Unicode APIs.

ICU doesn't need to be all that large.  By default, it builds
everything, and encodes the data it needs into an object file, so it
is pretty large.  But you can cut that down to just the items you
actually need.  If all you need is case-folding, then the footprint is
going to be a lot smaller.

Of course, if you're using the ICU libraries provided with your
system, you'll be getting it essentially for free.

-scott