Using read and write locks around your statements gives you protection and lets you compile without thread safe so that Sqlite does not use internal mutexes as much for synchronization saving you considerable overhead as well as avoiding the logic necessary to handle BUSYs from Sqlite and skipping any polling or busy waits.

Pthreads provides all the capabilities in the API. Windows needs a little work to implement read locks.