I use Bluehost.com for Web hosting. Overall they're great, but every
once in a while there's a roadblock like this. Happily, this one was
solved (using their knowledge base, no less), and I thought I'd share it
in case others find it useful.

No matter what method I used to try to connect to a sqlite database in
PHP, I would receive an error, because PHP wasn't grokking sqlite or
PDO.

The procedure I followed (on Bluehost) is below. Adapt the steps as
necessary to suit yourself. This method requires ssh access (a feature
which is one of the main reasons I use Bluehost).

1. ls /usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-*
    This revealed pdo.so and pdo_sqlite.so files in the
directory /usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613.

2. Modify my local php.ini:

Add these lines:

extension=pdo.so
extension=pdo_sqlite.so

Change this line:
extension_dir = ./

extension_dir = /usr/lib/php/extensions/no-debug-non-zts-20060613

I hope this spares other people hours of frustration.

Shawn