I write GUI automation scripts using the AppleScript language and the
System Events application agent on Mac OS X 10.4 and 10.5.  These
scripts are used to QA test Mac software.  My scripts need to write
applications states to disk, read/write preferences, read input data,
and compare output of an application to known good states.  All of
these values are stored in SQLite databases.  I query the data by
forming sqlite3 command line application commands as strings in
AppleScript and passing those strings to the shell.

Prior to using SQLite I was using AppleScript's read/write to file
operations and found them lacking in flexibility and elegance.  I
investigated using Apple's application agent "Database Events" (which
uses SQLite in some measure) but found its query language to be
severely limiting.  It is ever so much nicer to be able to query my
data using regular old SQL.  Another benefit is that when debugging
scripts I can easily look into what the script is writing to disk.

I don't know if it's entirely unusual, but SQLite is incredibly useful
for my purpose.  At some point in the future I plan on having
AppleScript build it's own scripts in situ (something which it does
not do well natively) by pulling command strings (based on specific,
dynamic conditions) out of a SQLite db.

Zack Jarrett