Sqlite uses cacheing.  I would suggest not storing large amounts of data
in PHP arrays.  It is buffer shadowing.  Ideally with Sqlite you would
use a cursor (the sqlite3_step logic) and pick up rows as you need them
from the Sqlite cache.

Digging a string of holes and filling them in is a tedious way to move a
hole in the ground