Sam Carleton wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 24, 2008 at 4:11 PM, Jay A. Kreibich <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>  Try the math over:
>>
>>  24 hours * 60 minutes * 60 seconds = 86,400 seconds/day.
>>
>>  100,000 hits/day  /  86,400 seconds/day = 1.1574 hits/sec (on average).
>>
>>  Of course, this is on average.  A real website getting "100K hits per
>>  day" would generally expect 10x to 15x this rate during heavy times.
>>
>>  That's still not ~69 hits/sec, however.
>

> yep, I was off by a factor of 60.
>

>> > As I am developing the software, is there anything I need to keep in
>> > mind to help optimize the database usage to achieve the million hits a
>> > day the "Appropriate Uses for SQLite"
>>
>>  The big thing is that locks are exclusive across the whole database,
>>  so an application needs to get it, do what it needs, and get out.
>>  A clean database design and proper use of indexes on critical columns
>>  (for queries) as well as transactions (for updates) are most likely the
>>  first places to look.
>

> So can SQLite can keep up with the load of 40 to 50 viewing stations
> going at one time?  Or am I better off looking at other options?  If I
> should look at other options, what would you recommend?  The
> application is used at events, each event having it's own set of
> images and data.  What I really like about SQLite is that it is file
> based and I can keep the data for each event with the images for that
> event, allowing my customer an easy way to back things up at the end
> of the event.  I also like the cost, too;)
>
> Sam
This is a bit like asking "how long is a piece of string".  If you are
doing short transactions and have a well conceived database and
efficient server side software (using things like PHP and CGI are
detrimental) then it should work.  If you do a lot of inserts and
updates or have SQL which results in row searches then it will not work.