Mike,

You guessed correctly!  I inserted a "PRAGMA synchronous = NORMAL;"
into the SQLite 3 version of my test suite, and obtained the same
performance as I observed with SQLite 2.

I should have realized that the kind of slowdown I was observing
could only be explained by extra disk I/O operations.

Thanks for your help!
- Richard