On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 11:15 PM, beejayzed <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have two tables, one which has each visit(call) on a house logged,
> another
> which has each letter sent to a house logged.
> I would like to create a query which has two columns, Letters.Date and
> Calls.Date, for a specific HouseID.
>
> So how do I get the desired result?
> This would be:
> 26/5/08 15/5/08
> 27/5/08 15/5/08
> 28/5/08 15/5/08
> 16/5/08

Before anything else: Use ISO date formats, e.g. 2008-05-26 instead of
26/5/08. Not only is it reasonably unambiguous (e.g. to me, 12/5/08 is
December 5th), but when you sort them as strings they also sort in date/time
order.

Secondly, glancing over your request, it seems that you have confused a
database table with the generic tabular data layout you might achieve using
e.g. HTML.
Each row of a table AKA 'relation' contains related information.  What you
seem to want, however, is completely different: You seem to actually want
two *different* sets of data, that have nothing to do with each other, and
display them in columns side-by-side.

The proper way to do this is to have your application pull back all of the
letter dates in one query, then all of the visit dates in a second query,
and then piece them together for display purposes outside of SQL.

--
-- Stevie-O
Real programmers use COPY CON PROGRAM.EXE