This all makes eminently good sense; thank you for the explanation.
I have updated the comments
at the head of the file and uploaded a new version, which is now at
http://www.sqlite.org/contrib/download/extension-functions.c?get=25.
Nothing in the code has changed, so there's no reason to download
the new version if you already have the old file.

Liam