Personally I'd skip the 'auto-saving' feature.  Lots of users are used
to being able to mess around with whatever safe in the knowledge that
when they quit their changes will go away.  More over, unless
cross-session undo is a stated goal it provides little value while
potentially balooning file-size for long-lived files and possibly
revealing embarasing information.  As a solution I suggest you come up
with two slightly different schemas one with change-tracking and one
without.  The disk file will be saved without change-tracking.  When
you load a file, first create a connection to a :memory: database, set
up your schema with change tracking, attach your file and pull the
data from the file into your main database.  When you save, attach the
file again and write the data out to it from main. While it may sound
complex, a healthy dose of good object orientation can really help.