Hardy, Andrew wrote:

> Is there a performance hit assosiated with manifest typing?

I'm sure there is since sqlite must track the type of each data item as
well as its value. But in reality this overhead is quite small.

> Is it right that although info on the sqlite site suggests there is an
> avilable mode that supports strict typring, this is not infact the case?

That is correct, the strict affinity mode does not exist.

> If there is a performance hit, what are the best ways to minimise this?
> And is there any way to at least log conversions to highlite any issues
> that would have been hilighted by failure with strict typing?

The best way to minimize the conversion overhead is to store the data in
suitably typed columns (i.e. that match the type of the data stored in
the column). This will avoid any unnecessary conversions when storing,

See http://www.sqlite.org/datatype3.html for the column type affinity
deduction rules.

HTH
Dennis Cote