On Wed, Aug 27, 2008 at 06:05:46PM +0100, Dave Toll scratched on the wall:

> I'm currently using an 8000 page cache, and as far as I know my DB
> should have been fully-cached before I created the indices (it was built
> from scratch and queried several times).

  Ahh... that does change things a bit.

> Does creating an index use extra pages on top of the
> fully-cached DB and the index representation itself?

  I'm not sure.  I'd guess not, but I'm not sure if the shifting of
  the b-tree might cause the page count to peak a bit higher than the
  final representation.  I would suspect that would be possible but
  unlikely to be large, if anything.

  Perhaps the memory is some kind of temp store for the sort algorithm
  or something.  Other can answer this better than I can.

> I'll have to read up on VACUUM...

  There is cost associated with recovering free pages since they may
  not be at the end of the file.  Releasing the pages requires
  "defragging" the database before truncating the file.  Hence vacuum.

   -j

"'People who live in bamboo houses should not throw pandas.' Jesus said that."
   - "The Ninja", www.AskANinja.com, "Special Delivery 10: Pop!Tech 2006"