You can probably do it the hard way: create a new table with the
structure you need, then populate it with data from your old table, then
rename both tables.

-----Original Message-----
From: Dan [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, September 30, 2008 11:53 PM
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Can't insert timestamp field with value
CURRENT_TIME

On Sep 27, 2008, at 7:13 AM, Mark Wyszomierski wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to add a timestamp field to an existing table using the
> following
> statement:
>
>    ALTER TABLE test ADD COLUMN lunchtime TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT
> CURRENT_TIME
>
> this fails with the following error:
>
>    Cannot add a column with non-constant default
>
> Ok that makes sense - but why can we CREATE a table with a timestamp
> field
> whose default is CURRENT_TIME, but not alter one with that as the
> default
> value? I may be misusing the syntax -

SQLite doesn't modify the underlying table structure when you add
a column using ALTER TABLE. So after the ALTER TABLE is executed,
the existing rows now contain one value less than the table has
columns. When SQLite reads the table, it detects the short row and
returns the default column value in place of any missing values. This
wouldn't work with something like CURRENT_TIME.