What's the consensus on using sqlite with flash based storage such as sd
cards on embedded devices?

Has anyone done this successfully yet with a real product (that needs to
last a few years in the field)?

How does one solve the problem of minimizing writes to flash? I've done
a search through the user lists but there seems to be no generally
agreed way to do this. Does it require intimate knowledge of the inner
workings of sqlite?

One scheme I thought of was to use an in memory sqlite database in
conjunction with a flash based one.

New entries go in the in memory database (using ":memory:" on filename).
Searches search both the in memory and flash based database. Every now
and then the in memory database entries get written to the flash based
database.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!