Kristoffer Danielsson wrote:> Consider an application where the user enters a
search string:> SELECT Year FROM Car WHERE Brand = 'Audi'>  > Now I want to add
some conditions, depending on settings in the application. For instance, I
would like to modify the above SQL string to get this:> SELECT Year, Color FROM
Car WHERE Brand = 'Audi' AND DateCreated > '2008-10-10'>  > Obviously, making
string replacements is not a good idea. The only smart solution is to somehow
edit the tree-representation of the SQL statement. Probably the same technique
used for statement optimization.>  > The parser is already there so the
question is; how do I edit the SQL-statement on a low level, before executing
it?>  > Thanks.
Darren Duncan wrote:> A better safer solution for most cases is to not let user
type raw SQL at all, > but rather you can just provide a collection of form
fields where they enter the > basic information and then you generate a SQL
query from it.  In that case, you > are *starting* with the tree as it were. --
Darren Duncan
Thanks, but that's plan B. However, if it turns out that parsing the
VM-structure is incredibly hard, then I will stick to your solution.