Cory Nelson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Mohit Sindhwani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I'm setting to to delete a bunch of old records ever 2 weeks in a cron
>> job and initially I just wanted to do delete * from table where
>> datetime(created_on, 'localtime') < some_date.
>>
>> Then, I remembered about vacuum - do I need to vacuum the database
>> whenever I delete the records?  Should I just 'exec' the statement by
>> setting the sql to "delete .... something ... ; vacuum;" and execute
>> that?  Is that the recommended approach?
>>

> vacuum shrinks the database size by removing empty pages.  sqlite will
> normally reuse empty pages - so vacuum is only useful if you don't
> plan to insert anything else, otherwise it will be slower.

Thanks Cory!  That clears a major worry (regarding the speed of
vacuuming a large database with a large number of records deleted) in my
mind.  Temporarily, letting the database take up extra space is not a
worry, so we'll just leave it in the records deleted state and let
SQLite reuse the memory as it goes along.

Best regards
Mohit.