-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of D. Richard Hipp
Sent: 03 November 2008 22:46
To: General Discussion of SQLite Database
Subject: Re: [sqlite] Sqlite concurrency problem

On Nov 3, 2008, at 8:04 AM, Paul Clarke wrote:

> Is it really correct that in order to perform an INSERT, Sqlite
> demands
> that no other connections be active?
>
> It uses the same database instance but (obviously) separate statements
> for each operation

Please distinguish between a "connection" and a "statement".  A
"connection" is what you get back from sqlite3_open().  A "statement"
is what you get back from sqlite3_prepare_v2().

You can INSERT while a query is pending on the same connection.  You
cannot INSERT while a query is pending on the same database file but
using a different connection.  Within a single program there is rarely
a need to have multiple connections so this is seldom an issue.

> When the insert is attempted, SQLITE_BUSY is  returned
>

> Waiting is obviously no use because the conflicting operation is in
> the
> outer loop
>

> Is this expected or am I doing something silly?
>

> Thanks
>

> Paul Clarke

> Notice:  This email is confidential and may contain copyright
> material of Ocado Limited (the "Company"). Opinions and views
> expressed in this message may not necessarily reflect the opinions
> and views of the Company.
> If you are not the intended recipient, please notify us immediately
> and delete all copies of this message. Please note that it is your
> responsibility to scan this message for viruses.
> Please do not print this email unless necessary.

> Ocado Limited
>
> Titan Court
> 3 Bishops Square
> Hatfield Business Park