I'm working on something which is supposed to be a foolproof interface
to SQLite.  During that, I discovered that SQLite lacks a way to
return errors from a user-defined collation function.  Is there
something I've missed?

Right now, I call sqlite3_interrupt() to signal at least something
(after obtaining the database handle in a somewhat painful way).  When
calling into SQLite and getting back SQLITE_INTERRUPT, I could do some
magic and recover the original error message, but for some types of
errors, this won't work (memory allocation failures, for instance).