I'm pretty sure both RHEL 2 & 3 both use 2.4 kernels and are
still actively supported by RedHat if that sways your decision.
I know I have clients that are on RHEL3 still so I'd prefer this
change not to be made if there will be negative impact.  We do
share connections across threads, but not during a transaction,
we just use a 'connection pool' and it grabs an inactive connection.

That said, I'm pretty sure RHEL backported NPTL to 2.4, so it
may not be relevant but I don't have the info on that currently,
I can look that up.

Thanks.
-Brad