> Secondly, AUTOINCREMENT in SQLite only works on an INTEGER PRIMARY
> KEY, not on any other kind of primary key or on any non-primary-key
> field.  BIGINT PRIMARY KEY is not an INTEGER PRIMARY KEY and so
> AUTOINCREMENT won't work on it.

   I think he understands that. :)  His question is why.  I think that
the answer is simply "convention", FWIW.

   That, unfortunately, leads directly to the follow-up question of
"can BIGINT PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT" be made to work the same as
INTEGER PRIMARY KEY AUTOINCREMENT".  I believe the answer is yes, but
I wouldn't bet my life on it.

   -T