Hello,

I'm just starting to explore sqlite, so apologies in advance for witlessness.

I have imported a sizeable block of csv data into an sqlite3 table
with this structure:

CREATE TABLE mins (year NUMERIC, catno TEXT, name TEXT, country TEXT,
locality TEXT, xlsystem TEXT, chemform TEXT, descrip TEXT, hname TEXT,
htype TEXT, price NUMERIC, curval NUMERIC, hdate TEXT, storeloc
NUMERIC);

I'd like to be able to provide free text searching across any, some or
all of the text field contents e.g.

eg

word "foo" in any of name, country, locality, descrip, hname
or
word "foo" within locality

online help seems rather sparse on how to do the indexing. Creating a
virtual fts3 table seems easy eg:

CREATE VIRTUAL TABLE ft using fts3(content);

but it's not clear to me how this is actually related or linked to the
mins table, or indeed how the virtual index table becomes populated
with entries for the existing table  mins.

Is there a quick way to actually carry out the indexing on all the
rows in the existing table mins using a command line tool such as
sqlite3, or other simple tool? Or do I need to write a program in some
other programming environment to read the rows in mins, and do inserts
into ft for each one?

Thanks in advance for any help/advice, or example code...

Cheers

John