I am not sure agree.  Companies that don't upgrade DBI releases are
unlikely to upgrade DBD drivers more frequently; and they're always free
to use older DBD releases.  We don't want to hold developers hostage to
the tendency of a few companies to be slow in upgrades.

At my workplace, a large corporation, we make multiple DBI and DBD::xxx
releases available, and applications can choose their own versions.
It'd be unfortunate if useful new DBI features would not be used by
current DBD::xxx releases.

That's not to say that incompatibility should be introduced just for
fun.  But if a DBD driver wants to use a new DBI feature, and that
breaks compatibility with older DBI releases, the DBD driver author
should go ahead.  The Makefile.PL file for the DBD module will specify
the minimal DBI release required.