On Feb 23, 2009, at 3:54 PM, pyt...@bdurham.com wrote:

> Dr. Hipp,
>
> When you say "SQLite is way faster than Oracle in a single-user
> applications" do you mean that SQLite can be faster than Oracle even
> when Oracle's parallel processing features are being used? For example
> Oracle's support for parallelization can speed up table loading from
> an
> external data source, certain SQL selects, and certain indexing
> operations.

I don't run Oracle and have no way of verifying the following.  But I
conjecture that from a cold start, you and launch an application that
uses SQLite, have it do a dozen or so queries, print out the answer,
and shut down, all before the Oracle server has even booted up to the
point where it will accept connections.  Correct me if I am wrong.

Perhaps Oracle will run a gazillion more transactions per second,
given enough memory and CPUs, and once you get it up and going.  I
have no way of knowing.  But then again, that isn't really the point
of SQLite.

> Are there any plans to enhance SQLite to support some of Oracle's
> parallel processing or partitioning capabilities?

Remember:  SQLite is not trying to replace Oracle.  SQLite is trying
to replace fopen().

For people who are using Oracle as a replacement for fopen() (as
apparently Angela is) they will likely find that SQLite makes a far
superior replacement.  Or to put it another way, people who are using
Oracle for a single-user application (low concurrency) will likely
find that SQLite works much better for them.  It has been my
experience that old-time Oracle users are incredulous at this
statement, until they actually see a live demonstration.  So I won't
try to argue the point.  It is merely my observation.

On the other hand, nobody things that SQLite is a suitable database
when you have 1000 separate connections beating on the database all at
once.

> Thank you,
> Malcolm

D. Richard Hipp