Marcus Grimm wrote:

> you should in any case try to encapsulate your
> inserting loop with a transaction. you should still
> be able to do select statements inside, in particular
> if all is done within one DB connection.
> transactions do not speed up considerably, they do it dramatically... ;)
>
> also you may give a code example how you do this, since
> there are enough sql gurus around here that may help to
> improve further.
>
> hth
> Marcus

I have attached a .cpp and .h file that show what I am doing.  A couple of
notes: I am using a C++ wrapper to the sqlite API.  The bottleneck is
obviously in AddData.  For testing I am just looping through 10000 randoms
entries.  My last run took about 23 minutes for those 10000 and I have a
brand spanking new kick-ass Dell 2.93 Ghz laptop running Vista 64-bit.  The
helper functions in the AddData take no time at all, they were in use when I
was doing everything in memory.  Let me know what you think about SQLite end
of it, I am trying to learn and hoping it can be a useful solution.  I have
already incorporated it for other file formats.  Ones that don't need speed
intensive, consistent use, of course. I do appreciate the comments (I was
trying not to say that because the posting rules mention staying away from
the little talk :-))

John