I can't for the life of me figure this out. I'm trying to do a nested select
like this:

<select d>)) WHERE X=<some value>

Each of the select a through d statements all return the same column x. If I
remove the inner parentheses, it executes just fine but of course the
results are wrong because C UNION D was not executed prior to the INTERSECT.

Also, in each sub select case, a, b, c, and d, are all selecting on
different FTS3 tables using MATCH so I can't take advantage of FTS3's newer
nested parentheses with AND OR NOT hence the nested selects since MATCH can
only be used once per select.

Any ideas? I really don't want to have to resort to using temporary tables.