Nico wrote:

>> Number 1, the database is no longer portable. The only solution to
>> this is to include the functionality in the core.

>Yes but, there is no single Unicode collation.  Collation is
>language-specific, even when using Unicode.  Thus you're asking that
>SQLite3 have a plethora of built-in Unicode collations.

I do understand the issues, but I think you misunderstand my intent.
I'm not asking that SQLite3 have any built-in Unicode collations.
Rather my point is that it would be of benefit if SQLite would have
some built in mechanism for a rule-based collation.

>> more general solution would be to design it around a sqlite_collation
>> master table in the database. An application developer (not the
SQLite
>> team) would be responsible to define and populate their "user
defined"
>> collation.

>It's more complex than you think.  You need to keep Unicode
>normalization forms in mind and you need to deal with decomposed
>characters no matter what (since not all future additions to Unicode
>will include pre-composed forms, and NFC is closed to new pre-composed
>forms anyways), which means multi-codepoint sequences need to be
>accounted for in the collation.  You'd very quickly realize that it'd
be
>even simpler for you if SQLite3 just had built-in collations for all
the
>relevant languages.  And once more SQLite3 would no longer be light.
>Perhaps when built with ICU SQLite3 could make it trivial to load any
of
>those collations.

I'm not suggesting that it is not a complex problem.

SQLite does a very nice job of taking SQL statements and decomposing
them into a form that a byte engine can process.  I feel that the
collations problem could also be addressed in this way with a rules
based table along with some underlying data that a application developer

(not the SQLite development team) could populate.

If the "user defined" collation wouldn't work for a particular
application, then it would not need to be used at all.

If Richard feels that this is something that has no value, I'm more
than willing to drop the whole idea.

Regards,

Noah

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:
This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not
use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for
your cooperation.