Hi Lawrence,

On Apr 11, 2009, at 7:51 PM, Lawrence Gold wrote:

> I can't offer a formula, but I suggest making it an option for the
> users of the software, with sufficient warning that it could take some
> time, as well as a Cancel button.  Another thing you could do is to
> schedule the vacuum for a time when you know the software won't be in
> use -- for example, those of us who write software for K-12 schools
> can safely schedule operations like this for midnight on
> weekends.  :-)

It's not an application. It's a framework which is used by a daemon
process. There can't be a UI, and scheduling a vacuum when it's not
needed is wasteful, especially because the databases can be quite
large. This is why I was looking for some way to determine whether
vacuum is needed, so that it's performed when it makes sense to do so.

Thanks anyway, I appreciate your input! :-)

Regards,

-- Tito