On Apr 28, 2009, at 11:38 AM, Igor Tandetnik wrote:

> Jean-Denis Muys <jdm...@kleegroup.com> wrote:
>> My create table statement (program-generated from a text file) below
>> yields a syntax error.
>
> Column names should be valid identifiers (a sequence of digits,
> letters
> and underscores that doesn't begin with a digit), or else enclosed in
> double quotes, as in
>
> create table document ("TC1.DOCUMENT.SORT" TEXT, ...)
>
> The same is true for table names, index names and so on.

You should use double-quotes (as Igor recommends) because that is the
SQL standard.  However, please also note that for compatibility with
MySQL and with MS-SQL Server, SQLite also supports quoting identifiers
using grave accents and square brackets.  All of the following work
the same:

      "tc1.doc.sort"
      `tc1.doc.sort`
      [tc1.doc.sort]

Let me reemphasize that the first example (double-quotes) is preferred.

D. Richard Hipp
d...@hwaci.com