<al...@ipac.caltech.edu> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:634ea812687a6d75a1ddf17adce883fc.squir...@webmail.ipac.caltech.edu...

> >> My primary concern now is to prevent a dead-lock.
> > That seems to make sense now (I assume you're working
> > "near a deadlock" with your multipe-client-requests, not
> > going to sleep properly before the next retry).
>
> Still makes no sense to me, how the absence of re-try code,
> while very silly - yes;), can explain the vast difference in
> performance I see between the "local-disk" scenario and
> the over-NFS scenario?

Such things can be tested - just start the same Job you performed
earlier locally, now against NFS (with only one single writer-instance).
And that shouldn't be all that much slower than against the local disk.
If it already is (whilst using the DB over NFS exclusively), well - then
something is probably wrong with your NFS (only Samba-Shares
here - but in case of single Writer against the share, it does Ok -
not as fast as against the local disk - but "fast enough" (just what
one expects due to the involved sockets under the hood).
Then, if you find nothing wrong with the single-writer-performance,
increase the writers-count step-by-step, to take a look at the
additional locking-overhead.

Same thing in the other way round (which would be my first test)...
do your concurrency-tests against the local disk - I mean, you
already have many CPU-cores apparently on your Client-machine -
let this machine act somewhat like an AppServer then (without
a "socket-interface"), local processes/threads working concurrently
against the local disk. And there you have the "pure effects" -
easy to see then, if there's something wrong with your busy-
handling - or not - and maybe check your threading-settings
which you use in the sqlite-binary (we use '2' here, and no shared
cache, each thread having its own connection-handle).

Olaf