> On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 03:12:55PM -0700, Allen Fowler scratched on the
> wall:
>>
>> > just for anybody who is interested:
>>

>> > I translated Jim's function into window code and added
>> > a page of 1024 that will be written, instead of a single byte.
>> > On my Win-XP system I got 55 TPS, much faster than sqlite
>> > seems to write a page but that might be related to the
>> > additional overhead sqlite needs to do.

just to add: I traced a little what sqlite does when an
simple UPDATE is done within a transaction: It does
two syncs on the journal file and one final sync on the
db itselve, so achieving something like 15 TPS is reasonable.

>> > This brings me to a nice to have feature request:
>> > How about adding similar test function in the sqlite API ?
>> > This might use the vfs to write pages and gives some feedback
>> > on the performance of the system where sqlite runs on.
>> > It might also detect problems with the commit function...
>> > Just an idea...
>> >

>> Interesting idea.
>
>   It would make a lot more sense to make this an external utility
>   or an extension of the sqlite3 shell.  Adding it to the core library
>   is a definite case of code bloat.

Adding it into the API would allow my application to
easily make the test for example the first time it runs
on a system. But maybe a problem for the users that
apply a sqlite wrapper.
However, having it in sqlite3 shell would be very useful as
well.

Marcus