Nicolas Williams wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 13, 2009 at 01:43:15AM +0100, Dr. David Kirkby wrote:
>> Thank you for your help. The fact you told me I did not need to link
>> libpthread was crucial to solving this.
>>
>> I've found that just removing the libpthread from the generated Makefile
>> solves this.
>
> Glad to help.

I must say, Sun employees have been most helpful at solving Sun-related
problems I've posted on the internet over the years. (Although this
issue arose when I was trying to build Sage on the T5240 Sun at the
University of Washington, I have a few Suns at home in England). I like
the machines and the OS. Casper Dik, who you may know of, has solved
numerous issues for me. Casper is very helpful on comp.unix.solaris.

>> The offer is still there for a sqlite developer to fix this properly on
>> a Sun, but as a hack, just removing the library works. See my code below.
>
> Where does that code go, that is, in what file?  Also, isn't this a bug
> in libtool?
>
> Nico

The bit of code I posted which striped libpthread from the Makefile
using sed was added to a file in the Sage project

http://www.sagemath.org/

Sage aims to be a free GPL'ed alternative to the expensive commercial
maths packages like Mathematica, Maple, MATLAB etc. It's primarily a
Linux application. Microsoft are paying for a port to Windows, and Sun
have contributed towards getting it running on Solaris.

You are probably right this sqlite issue is a libtool bug. I've
suspected that for some time, as a Google on error messages with
'undefined reference to somefunct...@sunw_x' have appeared in many
programs over the years. Apache in particular seems to have suffered it,
going back to at least as early as 2005. I had noticed that in most or
all of the cases, libtool was used. But I was never sure if it was a
libtool bug, or developers using libtool in an incorrect way.

I would add, both sqlite 3.5.3 and sqlite 3.6.14.2  build OK on Solaris
10 update 4 with gcc 4.3.2. So I did wonder if it was a bug in gcc 4.4.0

As with many of these software issues, it is often difficult to know
exactly where the fault lies. But at least in this case, a simple hack
solves the problem for Sage.

As a matter of interest, do you know in what release of Solaris the
functionality of libpthread was moved into libc? (Don't spend too much
time over it if you don't know - it's not that important to me).

Dave